We’re all familiar with the predictions surrounding the Internet of Things, often forecasting an increase in the number of connected devices, skyrocketing adoption rates, and a consistent rise in levels of investment. As we reach the end of 2016, we have indeed experienced exponential growth in the world of IoT. With more and more industries adopting IoT solutions and further enhancing the IoT ecosystem with innovative applications, the potential sure seem endless.
So what are the trends we can look forward to seeing in 2017?
- The rise of the Industrial Internet of Things that will see a focus on optimising industrial, logistical and operational IoT solutions and networks.
- An increased push from not only large corporates but medium and small businesses to adopt IoT solutions. Why? Businesses will experience three main positive results in their bottom line: 1) lowered operating costs, 2) increased productivity, and 3) the capability to expand into new markets or develop new product offerings due to 1 and 2.
- More customer focused IoT applications that improve functionality, customer experience and quality of life. We have seen this in wearable tech, connected devices, driverless cars, cardless payments.
- Increased governmental investment in the IoT ecosystem. We have already started seeing this in India where in 2016 the government implemented a nationwide programme focusing on IoT solutions in urban areas. These solutions have been focused on industrial automation, smart cities and smart infrastructure management. With a goal of reaching 100 smart cities across India by 2022 in conjunction with Cisco, governmental investment certainly is enhancing the IoT ecosystem.
We have seen many IoT driven government programmes over the past year that use different connectivity including:
- Smart street lighting
- City-wide kiosks & information points
- Security & surveillance
- Automated sensor-based waste management
- Connected bicycles with sensors measuring different environmental factors
It’s clear the internet of things has come a long way since those early predictions, and the future is definitely exciting. We cannot wait to see how the connected world will change in 2017 and we will continue enabling our partners to be part of the IoT ecosystem and further enhance their businesses.
Get in touch with us today using email@example.com.
‘Til next year, have a Merry Connected Christmas.